Friday, September 27, 2013

passing fascinations: vicious lies and dangerous rumors



December of last year, Outkast's Big Boi released his second solo album "Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors". Many were supremely let down, dubbed it as artistic restlessness, and a confused mess of undeveloped ideas. While others, aggressively disagreed (me being one of them). I fucking love this album. It's courageous, it's beautiful, it's diverse, I dig all 54 minutes of it and the 17 different vibes conveyed through it's 17 tracks. Big Boi is an ingenious producer, and collaborates with a varying cluster of musicians- Little Dragon, Jai Paul, Mouche & Scar, to name a few. But I dig this album not because I love every song intensely, but it's ballsy. He is basically saying fuck you to the preconceived universal notion that albums have to be a certain way. It instead he creates a piece of art, incorporating a myriad of different musical concepts into one eclectic roller coaster of fat tunes. The song above is one of the track's Little Dragon is on, called "Descending". When I first heard this a few weeks ago, I cried, and then listened to it 30 times. If Big Boi and Little Dragon got together and made a full length album, it'd be like this, and you want that.


 Enjoy, and check out the album to find your hang.

No comments:

Post a Comment